The Busy Mom’s Guide to FitnessMay 22, 2019
Exercise with KidsJune 14, 2019
Here’s a health riddle for you: what’s red, bright and sold all over? The answer is strawberries, of course! These juicy gems can be purchased year-round thanks to the warm climate of sunny states like California, but they’re at their peak in the spring and early summer. Now’s the perfect time to take advantage of all the health benefits these tasty berries have to offer. Here are six reasons you should be eating more strawberries:
- They’re packed with fiber.Fiber is a dieter’s best friend. It fills you up quickly and leaves you feeling satisfied for hours. Plus, if it’s volume you crave, there’s no better fruit to choose than strawberries. A cup will only set you back around 55 calories, which makes them the perfect addition to your breakfast. Try adding some fresh berries to your oatmeal or bran flakes to keep you feeling full all morning long. Eat them before an early workout to keep your mind on your exercises rather than your growling stomach.
- They’re rich in vitamin C.People that take several vitamin capsules each day may want to take note of this particular benefit. A single cup of strawberries contains 100 percent of your daily requirement of vitamin C. Most experts agree that it’s better to get vitamins through foods if it’s possible. When boosting your immunity is as easy as eating a few delicious berries, why not skip that extra pill and indulge instead?
- They contain cancer-fighting properties.We’ve covered vitamin C; now it’s time to talk about “the big C.” That’s certainly something no one wants to face. Studies show that the consumption of strawberries on a regular basis can help reduce your risk of breast, skin, lung, and esophageal cancer. Plus, the immunity boost you’ll receive can help you in your overall fight against cancerous cells. As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- They promote eye health.These brightly-colored berries can help keep your vision bright as well. The antioxidants found in strawberries can help keep your eyesight clear and may help prevent cataracts and conditions like macular degeneration. A couple of servings a day may be all it takes to “see” the benefits.
- They can diminish the appearance of wrinkles.Could strawberries really help you look younger? Though it almost sounds too good to be true, studies show that eating a cup or so per day may actually decrease fine lines and wrinkles. The ellagic acid they contain can boost your skin’s elasticity and preserve your collagen levels. As a bonus, strawberries can help brighten your complexion and give you the vibrant, youthful glow everyone longs for. So lessen the deep creases and sags by putting this fruit in your produce bags!
- They may reduce inflammation.